Friday, August 19, 2011

Ultrasound Day!

So the morning started with a blood draw and then an ultrasound. During the ultrsound the tech said she saw 7 follicles; 3 on the left (my weak ovary) and 4 on the right. She also said that on average women at this point have 8-12, so I am only 1 away from average! She also said, since I don't have a uterus, she would have been surprised if I came in with lots and lots of follicles. That's the second time I have heard about the lack of uterus making things difficult. Again, wish I had known this beforehand. I felt like I was able to take a big sigh of relief as soon as we were able to see a follicle in there. But we still had to wait for the blood results this afternoon. I was checking my phone all day like a crazy person until the office finally called. I talked to a different nurse from my regular doom and gloom nurse, and she sounded so much more optimistic than Ruth. She said my E2 was up to 352, more than double. She also said my largest follicle was at 15, and my smallest as 9 1/2. She said at this point I shouldn't be forming any new follicles, just watching these to seem them grow. Once it seems like we are as mature as they are going to get, we will take my trigger shot, and then do the retrieval 36 hours later. Again, she seemed very positive about how things look. I have another appointment scheduled for Sunday morning, and from there I will go in daily until retrieval. Which means I will miss the first hour of the first day of school. Oh well, it's just a few hours out of a 178 day school year, I think the kids will survive.

I immediately went home and consulted Dr. Google and found out that a follicle is considered mature when it is 18 mm, and a mature follicle releases about 100-150 units of estrogen. Also I read that the HCG trigger shot I will take 36 hours before retrieval will give the follicles what they need for one last growth spurt, so they will be at their max come retrieval time. But there is no guarantee that a follicle contains an egg, we just cross our fingers and hope that they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment