Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's official!

As of today we officially have a signed contract with our surrogate!

Now, before I explain any further, I have to first admit that I am learning all about the IVF process as we go. So some of what I say may not be completely accurate. I am just relating things back to you how I heard and understood them.

I went to the doctor on Tuesday to try and pinpoint where I am in my cycle.  According to the ultrasound and my bloodwork, I am around day 4 or 5 of my cycle. I have to go back every week for another ultrasound and more bloodwork until it shows I am ovulating. Once that happens I will then start on a drug called Lupron. (According to Dr. Google Lupron is a man-made form of a hormone that regulates many processes in the body. Leuprolide overstimulates the body's own production of certain hormones, which causes that production to shut down temporarily. It reduces the amount of testosterone in men or estrogen in women.) From what I understand, the purpose of the Lupron is to put my body in a holding pattern. My surro will also start Lupron in a few days, to put her body on hold as well. That was we can both be in sync. Once we are in sync I will start meds to stimulate my ovaries and she will start meds to help produce a nice thick uterine lining. Dr. C has a tentative plan for us to start stims on August 20th. If I remember correctly from the very first conversation I had with Dr. C back in February, about a week after that we will be ready for a retrieval and 3 to 5 days after that, a transfer! I can't believe we are getting so close to a transfer!! I know there are still so many things that can happen between now and then. Or we could get all the way to a transfer and it not work. But it is hard not to get excited by these little milestones. Even D, aka Mr. Pessimistic, has gotten a little excited. I think he is starting to believe the we might actually get our positive outcome.

I talked with Gayla a few days ago about my fears and nerves and she said that this journey won't be smooth sailing, it never is, so expect some speed bumps. But that she will do whatever it takes to make sure those bumps do not become roadblocks.

I am just so excited to get this journey started! I think we are going to be in for quite a ride, but I know there will be a fabulous prize at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment