Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sick Little Nacho

So the Nacho has been feeling under the weather for the last 2 weeks. It started 2 Mondays ago during dinner. She just started melting down, wouldn't eat anything (not even ice cream) only wanted to sit in my lap with her head on my chest. She would grab her tummy and whine that it hurt. It was a rough night. She screamed all the way home, screamed all though her bath, and slept very restlessly. She hadn't pooped all day, so we figured she was just backed up. Woke up the next morning in a good mood. I have her some pepto and sent her to school.

On Wednesday my parents watched the Nacho for the night. When I talked to mom the next day she said the Nacho was a little cranky, a little touchy, but that they had a good night.

On Thursday I met my parents for dinner since Dave had a late meeting that night. We went to Bass Pro because its pretty fun, full of things to do and see. But as soon as we got there the Nacho was whining and crying. She didn't want to look the the fish, or the turtles. She didn't even have any kind of reaction when she saw Papa (HIGHLY unusual!) During dinner she hardly ate anything and was just a fussy mess. She climbed in my lap, put her head on my chest, and was pretty much dead weight for the rest of the night. When I put her in the car to go home, she cried for her blanket, so I put it in her lap, and it was covering her arms. She sat like that for the entire drive home. I got home, got her out of the car and into bed and she hardly moved a muscle. During dinner she had started feeling a little warm, so when I got home I took her temp and it was 101. She woke up a few times during the night, and I gave her Tylenol around midnight. Dave was planning on taking the morning off to stay home with her the next day, and Grammy was going to cover the afternoon shift.

Friday morning she woke up and was her usual happy self. We debated it and decided to send her to school. When I dropped her off I told them she had been acting funny the night before and to call me if they thought she wasn't feeling well. I was going to call during my lunch break to check on her, but decided no news was good news. When I got there to pick her up that afternoon I felt like the worst mom in the world. She was just leaning against the wall, limp as a rag doll, and started crying as soon as she saw me. I picked her up and she was burning up. I got her home, gave her some Tylenol, and she was immediately asleep. We alternated Tylenol and Motrin all night. She had her last dose of Tylenol at 7, and then never had any more for the rest of the day because her fever never came back.

And that's how the rest of the weekend and all of this week went. One Tuesday day care said she did not go potty all day, thankfully she made up for it when she got home. And other than that all week at day care, and at home, was full of potty accidents.

Beyond the sporadic fever she never had any physical signs of being sick, but she was just really touchy and whiny all the time. And if you know the Nacho, you know how out of character that is for her. Back BT (before tubes)when she was getting fever after fever after fever from all the ear infections, you could hardly tell she was sick, the fever was really the only sign. on Wednesday I had enough. Day care said she still wasn't acting like herself, so I made an appointment with Dr. Hubbard. I needed some peace of mind, because at this point my imagination is running wild (overreaction #1: lukemia, overreaction #2: we are the next episode of mystery diagnosis.)
On Wednesday she was really pouty and sad to be dropped at school. I asked Dave to call and check on her in an hour or so, thinking they would say she perked right up and was having a good day. But instead they said she was just not happy and very clingy. Grammy planned on taking off after lunch to go get her and take her home. But she called first, and by that point the Nacho "had eaten all of her snack and was excited to go outside to play." So we decided to keep her at school. When I got there to pick her up, she was clingy and whiny again, and felt warm. Got home and she had a temp of 100, and by the time I got her in bed it was up to 101.8. But Tylenol brought it down, and it never came back again.

On Thursday day care said she was almost her normal, happy go lucky self. But she was still extra touchy and wasn't as eager to participate. So I was thankful we had the appointment for the next day. We got home though, and she was her regular, normal, happy self.

Friday (appointment day) day care said the old Nacho was back. She had a great day, was in a great mood, our girl was back. But I decided to go ahead and go to her appointment. I wanted the doc to look at her ears and her throat, just to double check and make sure all was ok.

You know how your computer starts to act up, so you call the IT guy to come look at it, and when he gets there the computer is working perfectly? Yeah, that's what happened to us at the doctor's office.

The Nacho was ON! She was putting on a show and the audience loved it. She even pottied on command in a cup. Dr. Hubbard was so impressed! Her ears looked great (tubes have fallen out and the ear drums look good), throat looks great, didn't feel anything in her lymph nodes, urine was nice and clear, the child was perfect. Didn't act sick at all! So it was pretty much a silly and wasted appointment, but oh well. It was nice to go and have people fawn over your adorable child.

The Nacho has been herself all day today, and hopefully it continues. Dr. Hubbard said it was probably just a random virus that kept hanging on. If the fever comes back and lasts for a few days we are to go back in, but hopefully that won't happen. Hopefully the next time we see Dr. Hubbard is when we bring the new babies in for their first appointment!


(And no, I am not going back and rereading this to fix errors. Deal with it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment