Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Prayers for a Friend Please

Yes, I know I never posted an update after our last appointment, and I was planning on doing that today, but then I realized we have another appointment tomorrow, so I will just doing a double update after that.

Instead I would like to ask everyone to say a quick little prayer for a dear friend of mine, let's call her Betty.

Last week Betty had her second IUI procedure. (for those of you going ????, the unscientific explanation is it's the turkey baster procedure. Stimulate her ovaries to produce a few more eggs than normal, when they are ready the doc takes her hubby's contribution and squirts it in.) Betty did her first IUI a month (or so) ago, and it was unsuccessful. So I am just praying and praying and praying that this time works.

I can't say I understand what Betty's infertility struggles have been like. I have no idea. From an infertile standpoint, I was lucky. We knew what was wrong with me; no baby oven. I didn't have to go through months of unsuccessful trying before moving on to IVF and a surrogate. I have no idea what it is like to get a negative pregnancy test month after month for several years. I can't even imagine the heartache. My journey has been completely different.

But I do think I understand some of the emotions, some of the fears she is going through. I know what its like to not be able to have a glass of wine and a little fun with my husband and end up pregnant. I know what it is like to hope and pray for something, never wanting to give up. I know how exhausting it is to keep going. I know what its like to think you couldn't possibly have any more tears left to cry. I know how scary it is. I know the fear of thinking it will never happen. I know what it is like to look at my beautiful, perfect child and ache to give him/her a sibling, a partner in crime. I know how painful it is to look at a new mom and her new baby. Or how difficult it is to hear the news that someone else is pregnant, especially when that someone is a teenager, has 8 bazillion kids they already can't afford, didn't want kids in the first place, etc... I can't totally relate with her on all of that, and more.

But I also know what it's like to see that positive pregnancy test. To see the baby on an ultrasound, to hear the heartbeat. I know how much sweeter it is going to be for her.

Betty already has one child, and she is an AMAZING mother; her husband is an amazing father. I can't think of 2 more deserving people. And I know their first child is going to be an amazing sibling. So please send up a prayer for them.

And Betty, you have been one of my biggest cheerleaders through all of this. You have prayed for me, offered me words of encouragement, have let me release all my worries onto you, and have just been there for me. I want you to know that I am now standing on your sideline with my pom poms, cheering you on!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment