Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas 25 Questions

Yes, I need to update about our last OB appointment, and today's appointment. Maybe tomorrow.
For now . . .

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I prefer wrapping paper (unless it’s an awkward item) because I know people prefer unwrapping a wrapped gift. But gift bags are SO much easier. So at the very beginning of the season it is all wrapping paper, but when I look at all I have left to wrap and realize Christmas is in a few days, things start going in bags.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial. I love the smell of a real tree, but not the hassle or mess of one. Plus, I am too scared of a fire. Call me Miss Worry-wart
3. When do you put up the tree? If I had it my way, I would put my tree up the day after Halloween. The holiday season goes by so quickly, and half the time I feel like I don’t have time to enjoy it all. But, my husband won’t let it go up until after Thanksgiving.
4. When do you take the tree down? I procrastinate as long as possible. But I do my best to get everything down and put away before I go back to work.
5. Do you like eggnog? Love it! I excitedly tried some eggnog coffee and creamer the other day (it was just okay) and baked some eggnog pound cake. Because, I LOVE eggnog!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I always got awesome gifts, it’s hard to pick one favorite. Every year was something else awesome. My parents rocked! Some things that really stand out to me are my Strawberry Shortcake dollhouse, my Cabbage Patch Kid, my bicycle, tv, and my stereo
7. Do you have a nativity scene? I do. I have gone through several different ones and finally have a set that I just love! The Nacho also has a Little People Nativity set.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My brother-in-law Will. I am sure he is tired of getting golf balls from me every year.
9. Easiest person to buy for? My mom, my sister, and the Nacho
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Now that I have started sending cards, I mail them.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? pine cones. spray painted gold. with little bits of grass and leaves in the mix. Granted, that was actually a gift to my husband (who at the time was my new boyfriend) from my grandmother. I guess the worst gift that was given directly to me, was also from Grandmother; plastic and yarn woven place mats. Got a few each year for Christmas and my birthday until I had an entire set.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? oh gosh, there are so many. I love Charlie Brown Christmas and the Grinch (cartoon, not live action). Also love a Christmas Story and A Wonderful Life. Oh, and Claymation Christmas, Garfield Christmas, and the Peter, Paul, and Mary Christmas special. But I guess, if I had to pick only one, it would be The Bells of St. Mary’s. It just wouldn’t feel like the holidays if I don’t watch it at least once.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I usually pick up a few things here and there all throughout the year, but the official shopping for me starts bright and early on Black Friday.
14. Ever recycled a Christmas present? I have on occasion, but haven’t in quite a while. When we were kids, my mom would take all the junk her students would give her, sort everything out: the total crap to donate, the food, the good stuff she wanted to keep (mostly the homemade crafts) and then everything left went in a big box. The next year, when it was time to get gifts for our teachers, we would go to the box and pick something from there to regift.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chex Mix! It is my main source of nutrition during the holidays. In fact, there is a tin of Chex Mix sitting next to me as we speak.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? White lights. 2 strands of solid and 1 strand of flashing
17. Favorite Christmas song? Oh gosh, this is just as hard to answer as the favorite movie question. There are so many. My favorite traditional Christmas song is the Boston Pops version of Sleigh Ride- and it has to be BLARING loud! My favorite “remix” is Straight No Chasers version of The 12 Days of Christmas. And my favorite “new” Christmas song is Glorious by Melissa Ethridge.
18. Least favorite: Santa Baby – ugh! Can’t stand it. why does everything have to become sexualized, geez, even Santa isn't safe. Plus Bruce Springsteen’s version of Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town. The beginning is ok, but the end is like nails on a chalkboard to me, with all his fake laughing in the background. And then any Christmas song sung by the Beach Boys. It just doesn’t sound right to me.
19. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home. It helps that all my family live right here. We do have to travel either right before or right after to go see D’s side of the family. But I want my children to wake up in their beds at their house on Christmas morning.
20. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yep. But I’m not going to do it here, don’t want you to cheat. Now, don’t ask me to name the 7 dwarfs, because I don’t think I can.
21. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star, but I have yet to find one I like. I would really like to try one of the bow tree toppers, but I don’t think I am crafty enough to make it look good.
22. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning. Christmas Eve is NOT Christmas. Do you open your birthday presents the day before your birthday? Or do you have everyone bring your shower gifts over so you can open them the day before your baby shower? No, no you don’t.
23. Most annoying thing about this time of year? How PC it has become. It is Christmas. We are celebrating the birth of CHRIST! And how crazed and stressed people get about getting the best gifts and spending the most money, completely forgetting what Christmas is really about.
24. Favorite ornament, theme, or color? My tree is red and silver, my decor mostly falls into a Santa theme, and my favorite tree ornament is a ratty old plastic angel with “real” hair (meaning not painted on) that I have had for years and years; she’s practically bald now. I remember as a kid my dad would have to lift me up on his shoulders to get it high up on the tree (because she had to be flying) and now, I barely have to lift my arm to get her high up.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? For the Nacho and all my family to have a wonderful, relaxing, blessed, safe holiday. And, an ongoing gift would be for L’s pregnancy to continue to be smooth sailing with one big happy ending in May. Materialistically, I would like my dream diaper bag, and anything we have on the registry for the twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment